Here are the 20 best cafes in Georgetown:
1. Tribute • Retro cafeA truly authentic Nyonya delight, this cafe has the perfect retro environment and is truly instagrammable. What sets this place apart is that they serve their food in tiffins, truly making the childhood memories come alive. They serve a new menu every week, and because of its restricted availability of seats, it is better to call in before you visit. They offer takeaway and delivery too.
Location: compound of Hin Bus depot.
Contact number: +60 12-687 1707
Give these dishes a try: Pork bun, Rendang pork, Nyonya fried rice, Nutmeg juice with mint, Tribute special drink, Assam Laksa
2. The Mugshot CafeA cute cafe with wooden tables and chairs, seats, and books to read in the back room, The Mugshot Cafe is the perfect hanging out spot with friends. It has a unique design with a heritage feel on the overall setup and display, with a different design in a different segment. Every corner is full of surprises. They only offer dining and takeaways.
Location: 302, Chulia St, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 12-405 6276
Give these dishes a try: Bagel, homemade greek yoghurt, coffee
3. Constant Gardener CoffeeWith a scenic view of the Esplanade field, Constant Gardener Coffee Cafe in Georgetown is perfect for taking a break from the hard and fast life and slow down. It is a tiny multi-roasters coffee shop, serving everything from specialty coffees, teas to hot chocolates and more. The environment here is peaceful and calm, with soft background music that does not interfere with your conversations. They offer both delivery and curbside pickup.
Location: Ground Floor, Penang Chinese Chamber Of Commerce Building, 9, Lebuh Light, George Town, 10200 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 11-6078 7883
Give these dishes a try: Cempedak cheesecake and basque burnt cheesecake, Single-origin chocolate, teas, Matcha latte
4. siTigunA little gem of an Artisan coffee place, siTigun has beautiful Indonesian beans roasted in-house. The coffee smells and tastes fresh, aromatic, and amazing. Homemade cookies are available too! The inside is beautiful—it is likely to remind you of an old cabin with antique-like wood tables/benches and elegant natural decor and plants. They only offer dine-in and takeaway.
Location: 28, Jalan Nagor, George Town, 10050 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-228 7108
Give these dishes a try: Coffee and pastries.
5. ChinaHouseA very interesting place with a variety of seating choices, this cafe gets quickly busy in the evening, so it is advised to make diner reservations. The environment is lively and cozy and forms a perfect vibe to hang out and chill. You can also play games and draw while waiting on your order. They offer dine-in, takeaway, and delivery too.
Location: 153, Beach St, Georgetown, 10300 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-263 7299
Give these dishes a try: Death by chocolate, Tiramisu, Salted caramel cheesecake
6. Potters Place CafePotters Place Cafe in Georgetown is a wonderful local cafe with a potter making handicraft ceramics just outside the cafe. This simple yet modern cafe is sure to give you the Malaysian vibes. You can also buy pots and leather goods as a souvenir
Location: 53, Lebuh Acheh, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 17-479 2912
Give these dishes a try: A cup of flat white, Banana fritters, Sandwiches, Cookies
7. Urban Artisan Cafe Penang GeorgetownAlthough a small, little place, this cafe is vibrant and is known for its coffee and ice-creams. You can dine-in or take-away.
Location: 122-C, Jalan Burma, Georgetown, 10050 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-227 7980
Give these dishes a try: Waffles, Ice-creams
8. Chapel Street CafeA cozy vibe, Chapel Street Cafe has layouts resembling the old buildings in Penang. It provides you a choice of typical café coffees, bubble teas, cheesecake, and ice cream. It has a comfortable environment consisting of a classical Black Theme. They offer takeaways too!
Location: 14, Medan Lim Cheng Teik, Kampung Syed, 10250 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-226 0620
Give these dishes a try: Bubble tea cheesecake, Sheesecake, Coffee
9. Mews CafeAn upmarket restaurant with a mix of local and international cuisine, Mews cafe knows how to strike a perfect balance. The environment of the place is laid back and easy rather than the usual upmarket-ty. It offers a nice selection of cocktails, a tight menu, and a limited selection of tempting Malaysian dishes.
Location: 77, Muntri St, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-263 6125
Give these dishes a try: Cucur udang, Sayur lodeh, Beef Rendang, Curry laksa
10. Just CaffeThis cafe in Georgetown is rightly known for its cozy environment, friendly staff, and fast and stable wi-fi. It also caters to cozy indoor and outdoor seating, making it a place suitable to work in. It is busy during the afternoon, and you might face parking issues but don't let that stop you from visiting this cafe.
Location: 52, Jalan Green Hall, George Town, 10200 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-261 2433
Give these dishes a try: Panini, Coffee, Cakes
11. Wells CafeWells cafe is likely to take you back to Taiwan. A small nice, cozy space, the ceilings, covered roofs are transparent, allowing the sunlight to enter the cafe, changing its mood and vibe as the sunsets. Huge windows allowing to naturally lighten the cafe with comfortable seating arrangements.
Location: 27A, Jalan Chow Thye, George Town, 10050 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 16-459 9863
Give these dishes a try: Waffles, Tiramisu, Coffee
12. 20 Chulia Lane CafeAway from the busy streets, this place is perfect for reading a book while sipping over a cup of coffee. Its ambiance can be well described with the words comfortable, quiet, and friendly.
Location: 20, Lorong Chulia, George Town, 10200 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-963 9282
Give these dishes a try: Apple pie, Juices, Coffee
13. Gudang CaféBeautifully decorated Japanese inspired cafe, Gudang Café in Georgetown comes with halal certification. It has a unique interior and can accommodate larger groups because of the big tables. The environment is friendly and welcoming and so its staff. The venue is a big art space, and there are plenty of works on display from local artists. They also have a bunch of board games for their customers. It is born out of a warehouse and has a rustic taste to it, with soft music in the background.
Location: 5, Gat Lebuh Armenian, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-251 9634
Give these dishes a try: Dark Chocolate Crepe cake, Popcorn chicken, Chocolate Mint, Kimchi Ramen
14. Le CafeThe plus of this cafe is its environment. They have an open roof in the middle of the shop that allows the sunshine to enter, naturally illuminating the place. This cozy, nice place has a rustic feel to it. It is spacious and would also look good on your Instagram.
Location: 33, Jalan Gurdwara, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 10-380 6202
Give these dishes a try: Sandwiches, Latte, Bacon, Hot chocolate
15. Narrow MarrowNarrow Marrow is an arty little cafe in Georgetown, great for Instagram diehards. Physically, it’s a quaint place, narrow but deep, filled with knick-knacks and odd bric-a-brac. The vibe of the place is perfect for chilling and hanging out with friends and dinners. They've got plenty of board games, and the playlist is amazing if you're into lounge indie.
Location: 312, Lebuh Pantai, George Town, 10300 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-226 3038
Give these dishes a try: Tiramisu, Toddy cocktails
16. The Daily Dose CafeThe Daily Dose Cafe is a modern, bright, and relaxed cafe with a wide variety of choices. This place has a charm of its own. It strikes a perfect balance between the old colonial feel and modern 21st-century twist with a friendly environment and well-serving staff.
Location: 36, Stewart Ln, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-251 9168
Give these dishes a try: Bacon, Dumplings
17. Lunabar cafeA labor of love and a chilled little oasis of connoisseur coffee, teas, and cakes. Its surprising touches create a feast of design with an infusion of Scandinavia minimalism and the tropics. Lunabar cafe carries along with an earthy vibe. It has an outdoor garden where you can find many, many thriving, beautiful rare plants. The presence of plants lifts this entire cafe's mood, making it cozy, comfortable, and warm. It is small, cute, and quaint and a perfect place for nature lovers. It has a limited menu, consisting of a majority of coffee and cookies.
Location: 12, Jalan Clove Hall, George Town, 10050 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Give these dishes a try: Cakes, Coffees, Lemon poppyseed
18. Kraffmen CafeA cozy, warm environment accompanied by jazz music, this place is ideal for a relaxing afternoon in Georgetown. The owner of this place is very welcoming, and so is the staff. It embodies some killer cafes and unique dishes on their menu, and the prices are worth the taste of the food. They offer dine-in, drive-through, and delivery.
Location: 80, Jalan Zainal Abidin, George Town, 10400 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-226 2770
Give these dishes a try: Kombucha, Aglio olio, risotto, Choco lava cake, Milkshakes, Cempedak cheesecake
19. Coffee LaneThe environment here in Coffee Lane is cozy and romantic. It is also quiet and peaceful. The staff is friendly, and it is a good space to hang out or have a conversation with your friend or loved one over a coffee cup. It is a comfortable, well run place with nice music, vibe, and wooden seats.
Location: 435, Chulia St, Georgetown, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia
Contact number: +60 4-226 3350
Give these dishes a try: Coffee
20. Coffee Addict CafeWith, quite a stylish decor, cushioned sitting arrangements, fast wi-fi, this place looks perfect for working remotely. It also is a good spot for an outing with family or just hanging out with friends.
Location: 24, Lebuh Campbell, George Town, 10010 George Town, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia
Give these dishes a try: French Toast with Cream Cheese and Fruits, Thai Basil Minced Pork Pasta, Coffee, Fresh juice
These cafes in Georgetown, Penang, have some of the best food to offer in Malaysia, especially coffee. They provide a plethora of options and have something for everyone’s taste buds. It's not bad to indulge in a coffee treat or a nice dessert hogging every now and then.