The palace, earlier situated atop of Narendra hills in Sawantwadi belongs to the erstwhile state rulers called Khem- Sawant after whom the village takes its name.
This palace was constructed during 1755-1803. Later, Khemsavant III constructed it on the grounds near the hills. The ruling family along with the present Queen-mother H.H. Satwashiladevi still reside in the palace. The Queen takes a keen interest in the growth and sustenance of local arts such as 'Ganjifa Art', Woodwork painting, lacer work which goes back to the 18th century. Workshops are conducted in the palace to train the new generation in there arts. This is major attraction for local and foreign tourists.
Anand Palayeon Sawantwadi Palace 2 years ago