Also known as the Madraza de Granada or Yusufiyya, the Madraza Palace was a mosque school that was founded by Yusuf 1, the Nasrid monarch in 1349. Currently, it is a part of the University of Granada as well as the seat of Real Academia de Bellas Artes de Nuestra Senora de las Angustias.
Located on the Calle Oficios street, the Madraza Palace is in the heart of the city near the main mosque which is the present site of the Granada cathedral. Being the first university to get established in Granada, it got its name Yusufiyya which means the house of science. The major subjects taught there was law, medicine and mathematics. In the 18th century, the Madrasa was demolished completely and then got replaced by a palace which stands high now. Some of the original Moorish features left there is the mihrab. The Baroque palace was built later and its arranged on the boundaries of a courtyard which has arches and Tuscan columns decorating it. Presently, it houses various departments of the University of Granada.