Weather and Snowfall in Khajjiar
Khajjiar usually receives heavy snowfall during the latter half of December and almost all of January. Regular winters last from November to March and the temperature varies between 5 and 25 degrees celsius.
Things to Do in Snowfall in Khajjiar
1. Walk by the Frozen Khajjiar Lake
Khajjiar Lake is a top tourist attraction in Khajjiar that gets covered in a snow blanket in winters. It is visited by a whole lot of tourists who come here to take a stroll here. Some can even ski on the lake, however, it is a little risky as the width of the ice sheet is not certain.
2. Explore the snow white Cedar Forests
Khajjiar Lake is surrounded by dense Cedar Forests that get covered in snow during the winters. You can choose to take a trek here and sit in the filtering sunlight amidst enchanting natural beauty. This activity is much loved by adventure enthusiasts and also by photography buffs.
3. Soak in Serenity at the Khaji Nag Temple
Khaji Nag is the most important pilgrimage site in Khajjiar that is dedicated to the God of Serpents - Khaji Nag. A lot of pilgrims visit the temple to pay their respects to the serpent God. Other than that, the temple looks exceedingly beautiful during snowfall and is also frequented by the tourists.
4. Scale Heights at Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary
Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary is a major attraction in Khajjiar and is full of wild animals, especially bears and deers. Other than this, the place has been blessed with flourishing flora and fauna. You can also find migratory birds here during the winter season. And there are several trekking trails that you can scale here.
5. Admire the View from the Dainkund Peak
Dainkund is the highest peak in the region and is also the one that receives the most snowfall. If you are an adventurist at heart and you are looking for a little thrill in life, you can trek up the Dainkund Peak. No doubt, the mountain is a little hard to climb, especially with that snow and all, but the view from the top is totally going to be worth it. From here, you can enjoy the bewitching view of the surrounding hills and the beautiful valley below.
6. Soar the Skies at Paragliding
Khajjiar offers ideal spots for paragliding and besides that, it offers beautiful views while paragliding. The enchanting snowfall make the place all the more beautiful and picture perfect. When the hill town is covered in snow, you can soar in the skies and get lost in the enchanting beauty. In addition to that, flying in the skies is a thrilling feeling that is sure to set your heart fleeting.
7. Try Horse Riding and Zorbing
Horse Riding is an extremely popular activity here and especially in the snow. It is a must try activity for most tourists visiting here. Riding on the back of a horse on snow covered roads and flanked by towering snow clad trees on the side, is a sight to behold. Other than that, zorbing is also emerging to be a popular activity lately.
8. Visit the Nearby Kailash Villages
The astounding hill town of Khajjiar is surrounded by several villages that stand out amidst all the snow and presents a beautiful view. You can take a walk here and interact with the locals. You can also try local food and try some recreational activities here.
Things to Keep in Mind While Visiting Khajjiar in WintersAs the place receives heavy snowfall during the winter season, it is advised to take a lot of care and precautions before you visit here, at this time:
- Carry a lot of woollens and ample padded jackets to protect yourself from the biting cold. A normal jacket that you wear in the plain won’t be enough to protect you from the chilly weather.
- According to locals, during snowfall, a person needs to wear at least 5 layers of clothing to keep yourself warm and safe. Carry thermals, sweaters, mufflers and every possible warm piece of clothing that you can think of.
- Caps, Socks and Gloves are also a must.
- You can also carry thermos or milton waters to carry warm water or other liquids around while you are on the move.
- Carry a small first aid kit with pain killers, bandaids, ointments and antiseptics, especially if you are planning to trek.
- Also carry a raincoat and umbrella, just in case it rains.