Here is a list of the best romantic restaurants that you must try:
1. The Royal Court GrillSituated in the heart of the five-star Royal Sibaya Hotel, visiting The Royal Court Grill will leave you completely mesmerised. An intimate setting with plush leather and warm lighting makes it the best place for a romantic dinner. You and your loved ones will be pampered by their impeccable service and treated to delicious and flavorful cuisine. A delicious variety of meals on the menu include tender meat dishes, curries, seafood, and vegetarian items. We would suggest that you do not miss the chef’s signature dish of rosemary and raspberry-infused lamb loin, tender and full of flavour, served on a bed of calamata olives, roasted garlic, and mashed potatoes splashed with rosemary and raspberry jus.
Address: Hillhead, Blackburn, 4319, Durban, 1703, South Africa
Website: The Royal Court Grill
Opening hours: Thursday - Sunday: 6:00 p.m to 10:00 p.m
2. 9th Avenue WatersideRun by the husband-and-wife team of Graham and Gina Neilson, the kitchen of 9th Avenue Waterside is famous for bringing to the table locally sourced seasonal cuisine, cooked with attention to detail and full of flavour. The restaurant offers an a la carte menu for guests and a tasting menu if you want to book the restaurant for a private event. Each dish on the menu is carefully curated. Among the starters, creamy shellfish orzo is a must-try, and roast duck breast is mouth-watering among the mains. If you have a sweet tooth, then you would have a hard time picking one from the dessert menu, as all of the dessert dishes are an absolute delight. No meal is quite complete without a good wine, so Gina has carefully picked a great selection of wines and is always happy to recommend the best wine to pair with your meal.
Address: 2 Maritime Pl, Harbour, Durban
Website: 9th Avenue Waterside
Opening hours: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00 a.m to 11:00 p.m
3. Bel PuntoAn authentic Italian fine dining restaurant, even owned and run by an Italian family, sits at the heart of Durban's food scene. Bel Punto has been serving delicious food and panoramic ocean views. They have both indoor and outdoor seating areas, which are both spacious and comfortable. Well known for its seafood, you can expect starters to consist of oysters, calamari, steamed mussels, prawn skewers, butternut cappuccino, stuffed cherry tomatoes, and grilled snails. For the main course, you can choose from roasted crayfish, stuffed calamari, grilled baby chicken, beef fillet done in a number of ways, grilled and wood-fired quail, and other options. Also, Italian staples like pasta, pizza, and risotto hit the spot. Considering it’s a favourite with both locals and tourists alike, there are sometimes delays with the food when the restaurant is packed. So, try to go with time to spare and bask in the gorgeous sea views of the Indian Ocean.
Address: Umdloti Centre, 1 S Beach Rd, Umdloti Beach, Umdloti
Website: Bel Punto
Opening hours: Monday - Sunday: 12:00 p.m to 10:00 p.m
4. Jack SalmonExtraordinary seafood at unbeatable prices—if that sounds like music to your ears—head to Jack Salmon in Durban. With a menu purely inspired by the sea and a promise that their catches are the freshest in town, this is heaven for seafood lovers. Along with the usual seafood menu like grilled fish, prawns, calamari, and mussels, you would be surprised with the Greek-inspired seafood meze menu, which boasts of small plates of charcoal-grilled prawns, grilled artichokes, pickled octopus, freshly shucked oysters and mussels, calamari saganaki, and fish keftedes. Desserts include classic favourites like crème brulee and Death by Brownie. You can also expect a good selection of wine, gin, and other cocktails. Overall, it is a very vibrant restaurant with stunning views of the Indian Ocean.
Address: Shop 15, Glenore Centre, 1 Aubrey Dr, Glen Ashley, Durban
Website: Jack Salmon
Opening hours: Monday - Saturday: 12:00 p.m to 10:00 p.m , Sunday: 12:00 p.m to 9:00 p.m
5. Wodka RestaurantWodka is the only restaurant in Durban that serves teppanyaki, and that’s what makes it stand out from the rest. It is said that Japanese-style Teppanyaki is an art and the chef at Wodka is Picasso. Nestled within the Dockyards by Waterfront Hotel, this restaurant is particularly known for its interactive fusion menu, carefully designed by its renowned chef. Apart from a Teppanyaki station, the restaurant also offers an array of dishes, such as homemade fish and lamb burgers, duck and chicken breasts, and steak. The chef also utilises Asian influences, evident in the wok stir fry dishes. Among desserts, the most notable is the Banana Samosa, which is served with hot caramel sauce and vanilla ice cream. With stunning indoor and outdoor spaces, the restaurant is ideal for dining throughout the year.
Address: 40 Mahatma Gandhi Rd, Point, Durban, 4000
Contact: +27 31 332 8190
Opening hours: Monday - Sunday: 6:00 a.m to 10:00 p.m
6. Roma Revolving RestaurantServing guests authentic Italian food for the last 47 years is the Roma Revolving Restaurant, the only revolving restaurant in the Southern Hemisphere. Situated on the 32nd floor, it is known for combining the best views of Durban with the finest Italian food. For the best experience, book yourself a table for dinner and enjoy the setting sun and dimly lit hues of Durban city at night. The sights of the city at dusk and night are breathtaking and may even give you ideas for some things to do at night after you dine here. Apart from excellent food and impeccable service, one of the specialities at Roma is "River Gold," their own boutique wine cultivated at their private chateau in Cape Town and available from the in-house wine cellar.
Address: 32 John Ross House, Jonsson Ln, Durban Central, Durban, 4001, South Africa
Website: Roma Revolving Restaurant
Opening hours: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:30 p.m to 9:00 p.m, Friday - Saturday: 12:00 p.m to 2:00 p.m | 5:30 p.m to 9:00 p.m, Sunday: 12:00 p.m to 4:00 p.m
7. The CellarThis cosy and critically acclaimed restaurant is co-owned and run by the husband-wife duo Dylan and Kate Smith. Dylan is also the head chef and manages the kitchen. His fusion-style cooking produces dishes that leave your taste buds tantalised for more with every morsel. The staff is well-trained in all areas. With only 30 guests of indoor seating available at a time and a few more outside, it is best to book in advance. Do try the crispy duck and white chocolate crème brulee.
Address: 32 Abelia Crescent, Seapark, Port Shepstone, Durban
Website: The Cellar
Opening hours: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00 p.m to 2:00 p.m | 6:00 p.m to 8:00 p.m
8. The Grill JichanaThe speciality of The Grill Jichana is that it uses only local produce to prepare delicious food. Jichana in Swahili means "eating good," and The Grill Jichana stands true to those words every single time when serving grilled chicken, fish, and meat to its guests. Pepper-crusted ostrich fillet and roast duck are signature mains from the kitchen, and every main is served with a choice of side. Those with a sweet tooth would be thrilled to see the dessert menu, which has options like white chocolate lemon curd lava cake, baked lemon tart, chocolate valrhona chocolate ball, and rose water panna cotta.
Address: 63 Snell Parade, Durban , Kwazulu-Natal
Website: The Grill Jichana
Opening hours: Tuesday - Saturday: 6:00 p.m to 10:00pm , Sunday: 12:00 p.m to 4:00 p.m
9. Olive and OilIf you’re in the mood to enjoy a romantic meal with your partner in the bustling city, the Olive and Oil restaurant in Glenwood is ideal for you. The Mediterranean-style restaurant has a colourful menu, including pizza, seafood, and poultry dishes. Their dessert menu is just as impressive and memorable as their meals. Olive and Oil is a great option to choose if you’re looking for variety.
Address: Bulwer, Durban, 3244
Website: Olive and Oil
Opening hours: Monday - Sunday: 6:00 a.m to 10:00 p.m
10. Havana GrillSounds Cuban, doesn’t it? The Havana Grill is located on Durban’s north beach at the Suncoast Hotel. The restaurant has a sophisticated and modern feel to it and is ideal for an awesome date night. With views overlooking the ocean and specialised steaks, seafood, and game dishes, the Havana Grill is perfect for a romantic dinner or lunch.
Address: Suncoast Casino, North Beach, Durban
Website: Havana Grill
Opening hours: Monday - Sunday: 12:00 p.m to 9:00 p.m
11. Butcher Boys GrillAlan Lazarus and Derryck Myers were self-described humble “grain-fed boys”' when they first opened Butcher Boys in 1999. Twenty years later, they have built a formidable reputation as the best steakhouse in town and boast three sites across the city. Their reputation is down to a long-standing commitment to serving the most thoughtfully curated and high-quality beef in South Africa, sourced from local farmlands. Their secret basting sauce has also got its own cult following, while the wine list includes some of the country’s finest vintages.
Address: 170 Florida Rd, Morningside, Durban
Website: Butcher Boys Grill
Opening hours: Sunday - Thursday: 11:00 a.m to 9:00 p.m, Wednesday - saturday: 11:00 a.m to 10:00 p.m
12. Big Easy DurbanSoak up the Sun on the Big Easy terrace or opt for the private dining room. The Big Easy Durban is a grill restaurant owned by South African Professional Golfer, Ernie Els. You can choose from Ernie’s favourites, a grill menu, the chef’s selection and Durban’s finest dishes. The restaurant is built for comfort and impeccable style. If you’re looking to impress your significant other, the Big Easy Durban is an ideal choice.
Address: 12-14 Walnut Rd, Durban Central, Durban
Website: Big Easy Durban
Opening hours: Monday - Sunday: 11:00 a.m to 11:00 p.m
13. The Grill RoomSituated within the luxury hotel The Oyster Box is The Grill Room. The hotel and its restaurant have endured drastic political changes during their 70-year history. They have succeeded in delivering consistently excellent service and delicious food, even in the most unstable of times. Its coastal location makes freshly-caught seafood a must, but diners can select from a wide range of cuisines. Durban’s Indian influences make curry a local speciality, and The Grill Room proudly serves up its own authentic versions of the dish. The spectacular seafood platter is perfect for lovers of fresh fish. It includes crayfish, langoustines, local mussels and delicious prawn curry. It takes a full 50 minutes to prepare, so order in advance if you can. Guests of the restaurant can dine on the Ocean Terrace, where they can enjoy unobstructed views of the Indian Ocean.
Address: 2 Lighthouse Road, Umhlanga, KwaZulu-Natal
Website: The Grill Room
Opening hours: Monday - Sunday: 6:00 p.m to 10:00 p.m
Note: Dress code is semi-formals
14. Impulse By The SeaNo trip to Durban is complete without visiting one of the city’s many Indian restaurants. Indian migrants arrived in the Eastern Cape in the early 19th century in search of work, with many undertaking arduous jobs under British colonial rule. Their descendants now form an essential part of Durban’s multicultural make-up, making it the best place in Africa to find traditional Indian food.
Impulse By The Sea is up there with the best of them, and its beachside location makes it the perfect location for a romantic dinner. The crab and prawn curries, both served in copper bowls, have achieved legendary status in the city and are a must for all diners.
Address: 167 Sea View Drive, Headlands BeachDurban is a beautiful happening location, which will truly blow your mind if you give it a chance. The exquisite cuisine and gorgeous views make the perfect combination for a peaceful, relaxing, romantic and soulful vacation. On your trip to Durban, make sure you visit these lovely, warm and welcoming restaurants for an unforgettable evening.
Website: Impulse By The Sea
Opening hours: Tuesday - Thursday: 12:00 p.m to 8:00 p.m, Friday - Saturday: 12:00 p.m to 9:00 p.m