The Indonesian island of Gili Trawangan is the "Party Island" of the Gili archipelago. Also known for diving and snorkelling, it is the nightlife in Gili Trawangan that attracts tourists to the island. With beach bars, live music, DJs, and even boat parties, the nightlife in Gili Trawangan is truly vibrant. There are parties scheduled for each day of the week, and if you're in the mood for a quieter night, the island offers that as well!
Party Schedule at Gili Trawangan
The small island of Gili Trawangan has an organised party scene, where one bar remains open into the wee hours of the morning, while the others close from around midnight to 1 AM. This means the one bar that remains open is packed with tourists and locals in the mood to party, creating a vibrant atmosphere.
Here is a list of the bar hosting parties each day -
- Monday: Blue Marlin
- Tuesday: Jiggy
- Wednesday: Tir Na Nog
- Thursday: No party because of the prayer on Friday
- Friday: Sand Bar
- Saturday: Sama Sama
- Sunday: Evolution
Gili Trawangan hosts a pub crawl every Tuesday, Friday and Sunday night, starting from 6:30 PM. It costs Rp 250,000 per head and takes you through the best of the nightlife on offer on the island, including reggae music at Sama Sama, beer pong at Evolution and ending with live music at Tir Na Nog. You get free shots, drink specials and a free alcohol bucket as well.
Bars in Gili Trawangan
1. Mad Monkey Gili Trawangan
Mad Monkey bar offers one of the best views across Gili Trawangan, with the property set right on the beach. There’s an infinity pool within the compound, as well as a DJ booth, live music every Sunday, and events such as Trivia Night and Music Quiz.
Happy hour every day between 5 PM and 6 PM
Open bar from 7 PM to 7:30 PM
2. Jiggy Bar
Jiggy Bar, on the east coast of Gili Trawangan, offers a free flow of drinks from 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm at only Rp 150,000. The bar also has a live DJ almost every night. Jiggy Bar also offers the Jiggy Boat Party, lasting from 2 PM to 7 PM, with a live DJ on the boat, free shots, and stops to jump into the waters around the island. The bar hosts the boat party twice a week, thrice during peak season.
3. Lava Bar
Lava offers some of the cheapest drinks on the island, with drink specials like mojitos at 50,000 Rp on Mondays and shots at 15,000 Rp on Saturdays. The bar also serves multiple types of vodka joss. Lava Bar hosts a Rock ‘n’ Roll Bingo every Friday from 8 PM. This event attracts a lot of tourists and makes for a fun and lively night.
4. Sama SamaThis two-storey bar features live reggae music almost every night and serves a variety of refreshing cocktails and beers. Sama Sama is located centrally, and you cannot miss this bar.
5. Tir Na Nog
Tir Na Nog is the Irish bar on the island of Gili Trawangan and is named after a mythological land of happiness and beauty. The bar hosts some of the best local DJs, and the music ranges from classic tunes to more modern stuff. In the month of Ramadan, Tir Na Nog becomes a silent disco, with visitors dancing wearing headsets.
6. The Jungle BarJungle is one of the best spots for pre-drinks, and locals and tourists frequent the bar to start their nights out. The bar features cheap drinks and loud music and is a great place to work yourself up for a big night out.
7. Pearl Beach Lounge
Pearl Beach Lounge is one of the more upmarket bars on the island and is set right on the beach side, offering a panoramic view of the horizon. The lounge serves fancy cocktails and expensive wines, as well as a wide range of main courses. With lively music playing at night, you can dance on the sands as a break from relaxing at the lounge.
8. Paradise Sunset
If you’re in the mood for a quiet night out, Paradise Sunset offers a peaceful experience. The bar, set right on the beach, offers magnificent views of the sun setting over the ocean. You can also enjoy a beach swing and taste the great selection of tapas on offer at affordable prices. You should try getting to the bar early in the evening if you want to grab the best seats to view the sunsets from, as it gets really busy in the evenings.
9. Malibu Beach Club
Malibu Beach Club is one of the quieter spots in Gili Trawangan, and there’s a bonfire right on the beach every night. The bar is known for its burgers and cocktails and offers glorious sunset views. There’s a pool on the property as well, with daybeds and floats for a calming experience.
Night Markets in Gili Trawangan
Night markets are set up almost every night by the boat harbour on the beach. The markets are lined with warung-style cafeterias and open-air eateries, serving a variety of local fare at very affordable prices. The markets buzz with young backpackers every night and serve a variety of seafood such as barracudas, king prawns, crabs and snappers.
Getting to Gili Trawangan
While there are no flights to Gili Trawangan, regular ferries and boats, and even speed boats, are available from Bali and Lombok to go to the island. There are no direct public boats from Bali to Gili Trawangan, but there is a public boat from Bali to Lombok and then a ferry from Lombok to the island. The public boat, running twice daily, is cheap and ideal for travellers on a budget. The trip from Bali to Gili Trawangan is an 8-hour one. Private speed boats from Bali to the island take 4 hours, and while a lot more expensive, it is the quickest way.
Things to Keep in Mind at Gili Trawangan
- Like the rest of Indonesia, Gili Trawangan has tropical weather, meaning temperatures stay above 30 degrees Celsius all year round. You don’t need to carry or wear bulky clothes in this weather, so you can get away with packing light.
- While drinks are cheap on the island, some vendors tend to sell fake alcohol. Avoid drinks if they seem suspiciously cheap. The safest option is buying alcohol from reputed vendors such as Gili Mart.
- Gili Trawangan is pretty small, and you can get around the island in around 4 hours on foot. The best way around the island, especially if you’re not in the space for walking, is on cidomos - horse-drawn carts that ply all over the island. Bicycles are also a great way to get across the island.
- While one bar hosts a party each night, other bars shut shop by 1 AM.
The nightlife in Gili Trawangan has something for everybody, with bars offering everything ranging from calming views of the sunset to all-night raves with cheap alcohol. It’s no wonder that Gili T, as the island is colloquially called, is a party hotspot.