Public transportation is relatively satisfactory in Kota Kinabalu, which includes buses and taxis. However, it isn’t always possible to extend their services to all the tourist places. So, it is always better to have your own mode of transportation and opt for a self-drive car on rent. The roads are not winding and pretty straightforward. There are plenty of car rental companies in Kota Kinabalu offering different models of cars ranging from basic to luxurious.
Top Car Rentals in Kota Kinabalu
1. Wahdah Car Rental
Address: 35, Jalan MH 3, Taman Muzaffar Height, Hang Tuah Jaya, 75450 Ayer Keroh, Melaka, Malaysia
Contact No: +6016 277 4594
Timings: 8:30 AM – 11:00 PM (Monday-Sunday)
2. Kota Kinabalu EzCarTerms and Conditions:
They allow a 1 hour overtime grace period. However, they shall charge 10% for an extra hour. 6 hours extra are considered in a full day rental.
Address: A1 H2489 Jalan Tuaran, Likas, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Contact No: +6016 221 5155
Timings: 7:00 AM - 8:00 PM (Monday- Sunday)
3. Kings Car RentalsTerms and Conditions:
- A grace period of 1 extended hour is allowed. Extra hours above this are charged at 10% per daily hour rate. 6 hours extra are considered as a full day rental.
- Pets are not allowed inside the car.
- Any liquid spilled inside the car would be charged RM100, whereas food items/things causing bad odor inside the car would be levied a fine of RM 50.
- The rental rate includes the security for accidental damage to the third party, like injuries.
- The car hirer is responsible for car damages due to accident, tyre puncture, tyre burst, fuel errors, etc.
- There is a no refund policy for cancellation
Address: Tanjung Aru Plaza 1, Jalan Mat Salleh, Tanjung Aru, 88100 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Contact No: +6010 944 5665
Timings: 7:00 AM – 8:00PM (Monday-Sunday)
4. Big Momma Car RentalTerms and Conditions:
- The driver must be between 23 -65 years of age.
- Minimum car rental period is 2 days.
- You must make an advance booking, 72 hours prior to the collection.
- You have to make a security deposit of 100RM online or pay the full rental through FX SenangPay Getway and then deposit RM100.
- Smoking is prohibited.
Address: Kota Kinabalu International Airport, Terminal 1, 88740 Sabah, Malaysia
Contact No: +6010 946 9296
Timings: 7:00 AM – 9:00 PM (Monday –Sunday)
5. EUROPCARTerms and Conditions:
Main hirer must be above 21 years old
Address: L1L01 (C4), Public Concourse, Arrival Hall, Terminal 1, Kota Kinabalu International Airport, 88740 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah
Contact No: +6016 886 7745
Timings: 7:00 AM - 10:00 PM (Monday-Sunday)
6. Hertz Rental Cars
Address: Lot L1 L02 (C15), Arrival Gate 1, KKIA, 88740 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Contact No: + 6011 1208 4866
Timings: 8:00AM - 6:00 PM (Monday-Saturday), 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM (Sunday)
7. Lyl Car Rent
Address: 88200 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
Contact No: +6013 898 8788
Timings: 24 hours (Monday-Sunday)
8. Top Transport and Car Rental Services
Address: Inanam, 88400, Sabah, Malaysia
Contact No: +6016 552 2085
Timings: 8:00AM – 10:00 PM (Monday-Sunday)
Documents Required for Renting a Car in Kota Kinabalu
- Driving License (Domestic and International)
- Identification Proof/ Passport
How Much Does it Cost to Rent a Car?
- The average price of a compact hatchback car is between RM 115-140, whereas a sedan is priced between RM 130-180.
- Bike rentals start from around RM50 and go up till RM80.
- Remember, there is always a scope of bargaining while renting a car offline. SUVs and MiniVans would cost you between RM280-RM800.
- Some companies also give a 5% discount on prior bookings.
- Most of the car rental companies follow a no refund on the cancellation policy.
Rules and Regulations
- The car hirer must be above the age of 21, in most cases between 23 – 65 years of age.
- Any damage to the car would be liable for a fine.
- Some car rental companies allow smoking inside the car, while most of them have a strict no smoking policy.
- Most rental companies in Kota Kinabalu give a grace period of 1 extended hour, however, charge 10% extra if there is a delay of more than an hour.
- 6 hours extra are considered as a day rental.
- The companies take a deposit of RM 100, while some exempt it if you buy their membership.
Tips for Renting a Car in Kota Kinabalu
- Make sure to not spill any liquids or food items on the car seat covers, else you will be charged a fine between RM 50- RM 100.
- A fine could also be levied if you use food items inside the car that have a strong pungent odor.
- Make sure to always carry your driving license.
- Click pictures of car dents and scratches before using the car and inform the owner about it.
- In case of an accident, immediately inform the police and the owner.
- Read the terms and conditions of your service provider carefully, majorly focusing on the Refund/cancellation policy.
Parking is a little tricky in Kota Kinabalu, but you can always find yourself a spot with the help of maps. They follow the right-hand driving system. So, pick a car for yourself from the car rental companies mentioned above and have a comfortable vacation!
This post was published by