Auckland has some of the best coastlines in the world that you can spend time on. The beaches are always bustling, but you can still find your sanctuary among numerous hidden harbours. To help you find the best spots, we have noted down the best beaches near Auckland that you can visit.
11 Best Beaches near Auckland for You to Kick up Your Feet At!
1. Anchor BayIt is located in the Tawharanui Regional Park, which can be reached in an hour by car from Auckland City. Anchor Bay, also known as white sand treasure, is a peaceful location that attracts locals and tourists alike. Many surfers and hikers also visit the beach for its secluded park setting.
2. OrewaThe special characteristic that makes this beach stand out and hit with the locals is the 3 km long flat coastline. The flat surface allows several activities such as kite flying, beach volleyball, jogging, which can be enjoyed by friends and family together. Situated right in the heart of Orewa town, this beach is a must-visit.
3. Cheltenham BeachYou can reach this beach by hopping on a ferry from downtown to Devenport to relax on this coastal beauty. Visitors are blessed with stunning panoramic views of Hauraki Gulf and Auckland's Rangitoto Island. The calm waters attract many swimmers and kayakers, plus if you want to relax by the ocean, then there are plenty of spots for that.
4. PihaOne of Auckland's most well-known beaches, Piha is located on the remarkable west coast. The waves here are quite strong, which makes for a good surfing day among adventurous surfers. The black sand plains make it ideal for some football and volleyball. This beach's other attraction is the Lion Rock, and photographers love to click a picture as it naturally divides the landscape into two different parts.
5. Bethells BeachVisitors can experience wildlife and sea life at this beach as they both span beautifully across the coastline. The caves and dunes are a sight to behold with the signature black sands of the beach. The ocean at this location is quite rough, which is why more surfers tend to flock to this beach than swimmers.
6. OneroaOneroa beach can be found on the Waiheke island, where people taste exquisite wine collections and relax on the beautiful beaches. Beside the beaches, there are numerous cafes and restaurants to grab a bite after a tiring day.
7. Karekare''The Piano'' is an iconic movie, and all its coastal scenes were shot at this location. A few km south of Piha, this secluded beach can be found, which is also a very scenic spot to click pictures. One can either test their skills in the rough waters or stay back and absorb nature's beauty. On top of this, there's also a beautiful waterfall which can be reached by walking inland.
8. Mission BayOne of the most beautiful beaches near Auckland city, mission bay is a bustling beach due to its location. The golden sands, cafes, and restaurants with Rangitoto island's prominent view make for a picturesque setting. If you don't want to travel a lot but still would like to go for a short stroll, this is the place for you.
9. Wenderholm Regional ParkLocated just ahead of Orewa, Wenderholm regional park can be found between Waiwera river and Puhoi river. Beautiful parks surround this serene beach, and the local pohutukawa trees line the beach that makes this a great picnic spot.
10. TakapunaJust like a pandora box, Takapuna is a place where you don't know what you will find next, and you won't be able to stop shopping as you keep finding out new items. Located near Auckland'sAuckland's North Shore, you can reach the marketplace by a short drive that takes around 15 minutes. Having more than 400 shops, and new stalls opening up as soon as the old ones close. The vibes here are very relaxing as the sea is only at an arm's length.
11. Point Chevalier BeachThis inner-city beach is the ideal location for a perfect summertime walk along the coast. Point Chevalier is often flocked by families who visit to relax on the beach while their kids run along to the nearby playground. The beach has a half-moon shape that makes for a unique backdrop when the high tide rolls in.
Have we missed out any of your favourite beaches near Auckland? Let us know in the comments below!