Jammu is home to various temples, the most popular being the Vaishno Devi temple thus earning it the name of 'City of Temples.' It has a lot of places which offer the opportunity for sightseeing.
But a trip to Jammu is incomplete without shopping for some locally made products. Take a break from sightseeing and indulge in some local delights and buy some souvenirs. Here is a list of things that you can shop for from Jammu and take home as a keepsake.
What to Buy?
1. Wooden CarvingsWooden carved products are available in different shapes and sizes across various price points. One can either opt for a modestly priced jewelry boxes or furniture pieces. These carvings are done on the wood of the walnut tree, something exclusive to the state of Jammu and Kashmir.
Where - Wooden carvings are the most readily available item in Jammu. You can find a shop around the corner selling these. But if you want to buy some quality collectibles at an affordable price, Raghunath Bazaar or Hari Market is the place.
2. Papier MacheHandicrafts make for a perfect souvenir. These collectables are long lasting, made for pleasant decoration around the house and are constant reminders of your holiday. These papier mache items also make for excellent gifts.
You can choose from various items like pen stands, wall hangings, flower vases, lamp shades, etc. These colourfully painted handicraft items look pleasant around the house.
Where - Raghunath Bazaar, Hari Market, or Kashmir Government Arts Emporium in the Old Heritage City of Jammu.
3. CarpetsCarpets are another handicraft item which is locally made in the state. Every carpet is priced according to the skill, labor, and the material that has gone into its making. They are available in different fabric like silk or wool and have Persian designs.
If you don't mind lugging some weight home, carpets filled with meticulous handwork shouldn't be missed out on. They are long lasting and are an investment. When they lie in the center of your living room and bring the whole place together, they will seem worth the trouble.
Where- Kashmir Government Arts Emporium in the Old Heritage City of Jammu.
4. ShawlsBeautifully embroidered shawls are the speciality of Jammu. During winters, shawls not only make you look chic but are also useful in keeping you warm. They are the perfect winter accessory.
While in Jammu, you must shop for some locally made shawls. Raghunath Bazaar offers a variety of shawls made from pashmina and wool which are warm and soft. These shawls take time and effort to be produced. Pashmina shawls are made from the hair of the Changthangi breed of goat. Shahtoosh is another highly demanded material. However, its production is currently banned in Jammu and Kashmir as the Chiru is an endangered species.
At the Bazaar, these shawls come in multiple designs and price range, although these prices are not fixed and are up for a bargain.
Where - Poshish is an outlet of J & K State Handloom Development Corporation located in Udhyog Bhawan, Railroad complex. This is the place you should go to if do not know much about shawls and how to do a quality check. Since this is government owned, the authenticity and quality are assured. Otherwise, Raghunath Bazaar and Hari Market is the place for experienced shoppers.
5. SweetsChocolate Burfi and Sund Panjeeri are the delicacies of Jammu. Often called the Jammu Chocolate, this burfi has a distinct taste of ghee and has a chewy and nutty texture. These are unlike conventional chocolate. The other delicacy is Sund Panjeeri which is filled with ghee, dry fruits, nuts, and sugar.
These are a must try for those who have a sweet tooth. You can even get a box or two packed and take a part of Jammu back home with you.
Pahalwan Di Hatti
Where - Pahalwan Di Hatti was established in 1934 and is popular across Jammu for its sweets. It has four outlets across Jammu in Pir Mitha, Gandhi Nagar, Bari Brahmana and the latest in Wave Mall. If convenient, you can even order sweets online. They remain open from 9 AM to 7:30 PM from Monday to Saturday. They use desi ghee to make the desserts and is one of the most trusted brands in Jammu.
6. Dry FruitsWhen in Jammu, you cannot afford to miss out on trying some locally grown dry fruits. Jammu is particularly popular for its dates. You can stock up on some dry fruits like dates, almonds, cashews, etc. One can find quality dry fruits at Raghunath Market where the dry fruits sellers are registered business owners. There are multiple stores to choose from, and you can also compare the prices before buying.
Dry fruits are a healthy and filling snack, and when you are getting them at a quality price, they shouldn't be left out.
Where - Registered shops across Raghunath Bazaar
7. SaffronSaffron plant in Pampore
Saffron is a spice which is cultivated in the historic town of Pampore. It is also known as the ?Saffron Town of Kashmir?. This spice is exported to other countries and has a demand worldwide. It is an expensive product, and if willing, one can purchase this even in Jammu.
Where - Kashmir Government Arts Emporium in the Old Heritage City of Jammu.
Main Markets for Shopping in Jammu
Raghunath BazaarRaghunath Bazaar is one of the oldest markets of Jammu, around 150 years old. It is also a tourist hotspot and has shops which sell everything from dry fruits to clothes with meticulous thread work.
Located in the heart of Jammu City, right next to the Raghunath Temple, it is a must visit for all the shopping enthusiasts. If shopping isn't something that you enjoy, you can walk through the lanes of this bazaar and be mesmerized by the local culture. When tired, you can eat at the nearby Residency Road which hosts a lot of food outlets. You can also visit the centuries-old Raghunath Temple and explore its architecture.
Timings: 9 AM to 7 PM
Address: Raghunath Bazar, Raghunath Mandir Rd, Jammu
Gole MarketGole Market is another ideal spot for street shopping. Located in Gandhi Nagar, it is popular among locals as it offers one all kinds of stores, big or small; local or big brand outlets. You can come here with family, friends or even alone and explore the market. Try on some colourful bangles, locally made shawls or clothes and collect some souvenirs.
You can take a break from shopping by eating at one of the popular eateries in Gole Market. Here prices are up for a bargain, and you can shop till your heart desires.
Timings: 9 AM to 7 PM
Address: Gandhi Nagar, Jammu
Hari MarketHari Market is located close to Raghunath temple and is easily accessible by road. This is a great place to buy souvenirs from. Here, you can buy everything from carpets to shawls, all at a bargainable price.
Address: Near Bus Stand, Main City, Jammu
Timings: 9 AM to 7 PM
Jammu is a shopper's paradise and offers something for everyone's liking. The above-mentioned places are the shopping hubs and most preferred by locals for their affordable price. These markets do not differ much from each other but if you have time on your hands, each one is worth seeing Devi temple winter capital of Jammu and Kashmir, is nestled in the Shivalik Hills. It has a rich history, being founded by Raja Jambulochan, then going on to become the seat of Dogra dynasty, and then the winter capital under colonial rule.
Jammu is home to various temples, the most popular being the Vaishno Devi temple thus earning it the name of 'City of Temples' It has a lot of places which offer the opportunity for sightseeing.
City Square MallHowever picturesque and beautiful Jammu may be for the tourist, it also caters to the interest of its residents- the City Square Mall. With a plethora of options in apparel outlets, eating outlets and entertainment centres, the mall has become a perennial hangout spot for youngsters of the city. In addition to this, organizers hold various interactive activities, be it a musical event or a kids activity. The interests of members of all age groups and all walks of life are catered too.
Thus if you have exhausted the list of notable tourist attractions in Jammu, you can indulge yourself in the urbanscape element of the City Square Mall.
Address: Dogra Chowk, Vinayaq Bazaar, Old Heritage City, Jammu.
Timings: 10 AM- 10 PM
Wave MallConstructed while keeping in mind the preferences and nuances of shopping enthusiasts in the city, the Wave Mall represents a world class retail destination which is accessible to residents and tourists visiting Jammu. Sprawling over an area of over 2,00,000 sq. feet, it has erratically helped in shifting the ‘small town’ image of the city to that of being a tourist destination with advanced infrastructural facilities.
A one-stop destination which provides a wholesome experience in terms of the shopping, cinema, food or entertainment, the Wave Mall has pushed the boundaries and perception of tourists visiting Jammu.
Address: GS Malls Private Limited Opposite, Bathindi Road Malik Market, Guru Tegh Bahadur Nagar, Channi Rama, Jammu.
Tips for Shopping in Jammu
- Be sure to check the timings before visiting the place.
- Also, bargaining may be an effective way to zero down on lucrative apparel.
- However, DO NOT try to bargain at the government emporiums.
- Be sure to carry cash if you plan to visit the smaller street markets as they may not have the facility of allowing for a transaction via a credit/debit card.