Timings : Monday to Sunday: 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM; 1:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Entry Fee : EUR 3.00 - EUR 4.00
Planning a Trip? Ask Your Question
Brugse Vrije, or the Liberty of Bruges, has served multiple purposes for the city of Bruges as it will for the visitors. It was established around the year 1000 by Count Baldwin IV of Flanders. It served as a castellany, a part of the County of Flanders (along with Ghent, Brugge and Ypres), law court from 1795 to 1984. Currently, it stores city archives and any written record of the city of Bruges. It is a must visit because it also holds a 16th-century fireplace named Emperor Charles V fireplace made of wood, marble and alabaster by Lancelot Blondeel. It is located right in the centre of the city such that one can quickly stop by to marvel at the architectural evolvement and city history stored in the vaults of Brugse Vrije.
The mansion underwent a lot of architectural changes such as the addition of a tribunal, aldermen’s chamber, entrance hall, a gallery with high arches, chapel next to the aldermen’s chamber and an orphan room over the years. The front part of the mansion, visible in the Burg Square was also refurbished in the 18th century after a neoclassical fashion by the architect Jan Verkurys. The painting by Van Tilborgh of a court session being held in the aldermen’s chambers is also one of the prominent parts of the collection held in the Brugse Vrije.
€ 45 onwards
€ 69 onwards
€ 75 onwards
€ 105 onwards
€ 63 onwards
€ 159 onwards